Monday, January 10, 2022

Rose study 011022

 


I have done another rose study today, I used ultramarine + burnt sienna (water mixable) for the dark under painting, then used paper towel and water wiping out the rose area. The colors for the rose were Hansa yellow, Indian yellow, Permanent orange, Quinacridone red, and White. They were regular oil colors, but there were no cadmium colors at all. I used Gamblin solvent free gel as the medium. No Gamsol this time. The result was not bad. The major issue was that the opacity was weak. The light area was easy. I can use white, but the mid value area is still weak. I may try some sort of ochre next time.

1 comment:

Passerby said...

Utrecht and Windsor Newton have cadmium-free yellows. Not as opaque as the original cadmium paints but not too bad. Give them a try.