Friday, January 14, 2022

Rose Study 011422

 


First, I want to thank all the friends who commented on my posts and provided me tips of using water mixable oil (WMO) paints and developing a non-toxic palette for oil painting. With this collective effort, we will eventually make oil painting much safer. My today's study is testing if  I can use WMOs on oil primed panels. Previously, I was using acrylic primed panels (or gesso boards). The result is not bad. I have not see major issues. My darks are WMOs, and the red, orange, and yellow are regular oil, but no cadmium colors. I still feel non-cadmium colors are all too transparent. I started using yellow ochre, but its opacity is still not as good as cadmium colors. I can not use brushes to paint because it gives a scratchy texture so the solidity of shape was destroyed. I have to use a palette knife to create the opacity I like. You can see that in the shadow area of the flower.  

No comments: