Thursday, June 19, 2008

"Ready for Work"


It is good but not easy to do something new. Be honest with you, I have run out subjects I really want to paint. You know I like apples a lot, but I think I had painted too many of them. Last night, I was in my studio, looking at all my still life objects. None of them I really want to paint. This power drill was among the last things I wanted to look at. The reason I paint it was that I have never painted it before. But to my surprise, I kind of like it.

9 comments:

DKM Fine Art said...

Your choice of subject, tonality and brushwork shows your individuality and spirit. It inspires me to challenge myself on new and different subjects. I like the composition and palette selection.

Jeff Mahorney said...

When I first saw this I actually could help myself from saying "oh my god" out loud. I just think it's amazing rendering. Beautiful work.

WCaro said...

My first reaction: what? Yes, I liked it too! The drill's diagonal placement,the electric cord over it, the intense red of the on/off button,the shadow of the cord- all very nice. Holds your attention for some time.

Susan Carlin said...

I was so surprised to see your latest! I never knew a drill could be so beautiful.

Marco Bucci said...

this is great stuff you got here! I'll be back often!

Dean H. said...

Beautiful....It proves art is what you bring to the subject...not the subject itself.

Barbara Pask said...

I like this, so different for you. You paint a lovely drill.

Holly Van Hart said...

amazing what you've created from a power drill. i like it too. a lot!

Candy Barr said...

Jim Dine made beautiful lithographs of his studio tools in the 60's - you've captured your drill in a loving way as well. More tool paintings!