Wednesday, December 18, 2019

"My OG Place Update 2"


I have got many comments after my previous post. I apologize I was not clear: OG stands for "Off-the-Grid". My structure is located in a very primitive location. There is no power, no water, and no septic. To make this place inhabitable, I must build all infrastructures. So my today's image is not artistic, but very engineering. (1) I have installed a 800W solar system (about $2000) so I can run a window AC, all my lights, fans, and water pumps. (2) I collect rainwaters (about $600) with 300 gallon tank space, and 4 stage filtration for water purification. (3) I installed a propane tankless water heater for a shower. (4) I bought a composting toilet (about $1000), and the waste goes directly to a small organic vegetable garden.  (5) I use a propane heater ($200) and insulated the bedroom only to save fuel (Texas does not get too cold in winter). So far my total expenditure on this project is about $8000. Lumber and other materials are from the Home Depot, and appliances and miscellaneous are from Amazon. All the DIY knowhow is from Youtube. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very inspiring. What was the biggest challenge? It looks like you learned or already new several components of home building.