Wednesday, November 21, 2012

"AAU Portrait Painting 7"

I am currently working on a long term painting project. It will take me a week at least to finish. Since I don't have any new painting to show you, I will share some of my old work. This is one of the portraits I did at Academy of Art University (AAU) in San Francisco in July. I was there for two months in the summer. AAU was a significant eye opener for me. Since then, I have been very sure what to do to be an good artist. After I came back, I made a plan to pursue my study. However, I worked according my plan only for a short while. Then I quickly found out that I have to stop most of my rigorous approaches. I ran into so many difficulties, some of them are physical and Psychological. Now, I am still going, but much slower. I have seen significant fragmentation in my art development.

From this a couple of years of my art journey, I realize a philosophy. I don't know how true it is, but I want to share it with you. Here is what I found: When I started a new career, I also planted a evil seed in me. This seed will grow into a demon as my career grows. Most of the time this demon will over grow (especially, if the career is some sort of "business"). Soon after this demon is strong enough, it starts to destroy me. I have spend more and more time to fight my demon. Obviously, the growth of my career slows down. If I am not careful, the demon will easily destroy me. It has happened to so many people in history. Have you seen the life of many so called "celebrities"? I surely hope I will not become another victim. So having the awareness of this demon exist in me is the first step. Secondly, I need to have infinite patience (Yes, INFINITE), and fighting (no, living with) my demon is a absolute skill we all need to have. As a matter of fact, to be a good artist is not my final goal; to be a mature human being is.

5 comments:

Donna said...

Hi Qiang, I think that deamon pops up many many times in life. It happens to me with my art also. Tell it to be gone! Try to get back into the spiritual realm of painting. I know business ties in a great deal. Just don't forget to enjoy the journey. Your art is stunning! You have a gift. You are a true artist. Do not forget that.Invirn Peace be with you!

Anonymous said...

I don't think you'll have any problem with that demon as long as you're aware of him. As for becoming a mature human being...you're well on your way. Thank you for "giving back" and sharing your knowledge and talent with other artist. I regret that I had to miss your workshop here in Atlanta and hope that you'll return soon.

Juan Jose Pedro G. said...


Animo amigo te deseo lo mejor
Saludos Qiang

Theresa Taylor Bayer said...

Don't fight the demon. Befriend it, and make it work for you and with you. You'd be surprised how much those inner demons can do for you if you'll just turn their energy in your favor. Kinda like martial arts. :)

Mary Pyche said...

This new work is very exciting indeed. I have strapped on my seat belt in order to follow you on your bumpy road as the first thing I do each day is check for your blog in my inbox! I can't wait to see where we are going.......... !
Thanks so much for the journey.