Wednesday, June 6, 2012

"A Young Artist" --- Sold

Click Here to Bid

I am continuing on my journey of figurative painting. Different from my previous figure painting, I used opaque background instead of a transparent wash. I feel I like my today's approach better, but I am not certain. I like transparent washes too. Richard Schmid uses it very successfully. However, I like the opacity of the background color for this one. It gives the painting more solid look, instead of the watercolor look. So I don't know. What do you think?

6 comments:

Sandy Sandy Art said...

I really like this one. :-D

ShanePaintsMaine said...

The transparent washes are part of alla prima painting inordet to achieve depth and atmosphere without the use of glazes. Though modeling and range of color are sacrificed. Your figures all seem to be grounded well on their own two feet!

Cathy Amos said...

I love all your work and really enjoy reading your comments. When you talk about your struggle, I feel it. But the end result is always stunning!

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

Interesting question you ask Qiang.
My take is if you want a dark background you use the transparents and for the light you use opaques...just like the wonderful job you did on this one. I love your grays.

Sunny Avocado Art said...

I agree with you! Solidly winning painting!

ashok said...

beautiful work