Saturday, June 2, 2012

"The Girl in Red" --- Sold

Click Here to Bid

This painting was done half way from life, and half way from a photo. I went to Austin Visual Art Association yesterday painted an exceedingly beautiful model Helen for three hours, but I only got a basic  sketch. Fortunately this time I took a camera with me and got a photo of her pose. I spent the rest of the day on it. I think this is my most finished figure painting I have ever had.

I am very satisfied with this week of my life. I painted literally every day and all paintings are challenging figurative projects. I have gained more confidence. Figurative painting is doable now. I am at the beginning but overwhelmed. So I am only concentrating on the accuracy and modeling, barely touched the value design, and completely let the color and paint quality issues go intuitively. It is a good start, and the future will be good too.

10 comments:

Susan Roux said...

This has a wonderful poetic quality to it. Yes I would say you've got a good start on figurative!

Carole Mayne said...

It has been so wonderful to watch your art grow in every beautiful direction. There is joy in the Universe and in my heart, watching you grow ever-taller and stronger in your vision.

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

A beautiful painting.
Wonderful to see your feelings of confidence return. If only you knew how much what you call - a not so good painting - is heads and tails above what most artists can do.

carol morgan carmichael said...

This piece is so masterful. Skin tones and shadow colors, the wonderful way you suggested the pattern and color in her skirt. You knocked it out of the park. Really like "hula boy" too.

Eugenio Fdez said...

Your works are brilliant and they have a great color´s expression.
Bye!!
Eugenio.

ShanePaintsMaine said...

Perfect perspective concerning distance between the foot, hand holding roses,and face. Other hand bothers me though. I guess it is properly executed on same plane as first hand but my eye travels there and wants more than what is offered.

AnnG said...

For a long time, I've enjoyed your still-life paintings. These figure paintings, however, are probably my favorites, especially this one in particular. I think you're doing great with figurative work, and I hope you continue down this path.

Dean H. said...

You are right to be proud, Qaing! This is one of your best in my opinion! :)

Diane Hoeptner said...

Wow, LOVE this new figurative work, Qiang. I'm excited to see more!!!

Francie said...

Qiang!...i was blown away when i saw this one....and i knew your still life painting has paid off....you've painted this beautifully...not to say the still life is a drudge and the figurative a joy...not at all...i love your still lifes...and your figuratives are wonderful!!! i am inspired by you. Fran....Sacramento 2010 Patris's workshop.