Friday, February 24, 2012

"We Are Connected" --- Sold


Click Here to Bid

I don't know if I am right, but I feel high key is more suitable for small paintings. My paintings are predominately low key. I like using dark background and let the center of focus shine. However, I didn't realize the display effects in an actual interior design situation. If I place a small 6" x 6" on the mantle or on a desk, the color (or the value) of the interior surrounding the painting is usually brighter than the painting. Therefore, the small painting looks like a black hole if we don't illuminate it with a designated light. So the environment-to-painting contrast will overwrite the value contrast within the painting. On the other hand, high key painting is definitely has the advantage, because its larger bright and color areas will show the design of the painting more pronouncedly. In addition, colors show better on high key paintings. So the painting can be the center of the interior. I don't know interior design. All the above is my gut feeling. If you have collected my low key small paintings. I recommend you setting up a light for them to show better effect. My today's painting is a high key one. Does it look a little brighter?

8 comments:

George Carr said...

A fascinating insight you have here. I have never heard anyone bring up the question of how the overall value key of a painting might affect how it is perceived in the context of a typical room. I think you are right- and the painting is fantastic!

Sue Harrell said...

This makes so much sense. Thank you for sharing. This painting is beautiful! You are an inspiration.

Judy P. said...

Your perspective is quite unusual, as though the painting has a life, and a completeness all its own, and you wonder how it will fit in its outside surroundings. This is valid, in the sense of interior design, but I think many paintings contain their own little world, where people look at them and enter them. For a moment they escape their surroundings; in that case I think the room setup is less of a concern.

watercolorpainting said...

It does not matter, if you like THE painting, you can complete it easely for your room with a dark or light frame.
A small high key painting looks very Nice with a dark frame.

Virginia Floyd said...

This painting is wonderful! I love the greens in the tomatoes. I think that is so difficult to achieve.

I agree with your concept of small high key paintings, especially if they are displayed on a book shelf or table. I think the average home doesn't have lighting that shows off a low key painting well.

carol morgan carmichael said...

The colors on your tomatoes are so nice. Love your background color and the beautiful colors in the shadows. Nice and fresh.

Rohit Kulkarni said...

This isn't a regular qiang-huang, and it's a refreshing change.. Like the freshness and light colour background in this one..

Sunny Avocado Art said...

How did I miss this one yesterday? It's perfect.