Friday, December 24, 2010

"Holiday Time" --- Sold

We are back from Arkansas. I did this gallery painting. I need to accumulate a batch of paintings for quite a few shows coming in 2011. It is Christmas Eve today. I want to wish all of you a Merry Christmas at this moment. Different from most of you, I didn't grow up celebrating Christmas. I learned about Santa Clause from my English class when I was 20 years old. I had a few American English teachers when I was in college. I still remembered my first Christmas party. Our English class decorated a classroom. I drew Santa with color chalk on a blackboard. The image was copied from a card given by our teacher. We played Christmas songs with a cassette player. We all spoke in English at the party. It was really exotic I felt. At that time, America was so far away, so foreign, and so mysterious. I didn't know I would go there and had spent a half of my life time there (here to be exact) already. Life is full of surprises, but every moment has its meaning. I am going to keep painting tomorrow, because it is the most celebrating and enjoyable time I can have.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry, Merry Christmas, Qiang! Your beautiful paintings are a blessing to many. My present from 'Santa' this year was your 'Backyard Harvest', and I love it!

carol morgan carmichael said...

This painting is one of my favorites you have ever done and that is saying a lot. This one is just incredible!! WOW!

tiffannysketchbook said...

i loved reading your story about the first time you heard about santa. You are an excellent story teller as well as painter.

Brian Cameron said...

this is a stunning painting! Great light ! thanks for painting a christmas painting. xmas decorations and all. Also great insight into what xmas looks like from another cultural perspective.

martinealison said...

Que Noël soit l'annonce d'un bonheur grandissant dans la joie et la paix!
Bises

Carol Schiff Daily Painting said...

Qiang, You have gone to a new level with this incredible piece. I have now seen perfection.

Your snippets of life from another culture and always interesting and your humble attitude is a lesson for us all.

Lorie Lowery said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS QIANG! The painting is beautiful. You are a great addition to America. Welcome!

Lorie Lowery

Theresa Taylor Bayer said...

What a beautiful painting! And your Christmas story is wonderful. Hope you had a very happy studio day today, painting & doing the art you love.
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!