Thursday, September 30, 2010

"Taking Out"

Click Here to Bid
It is the last day of the month today. This month, I didn’t finish my quota for my on-line galleries. Officially, I am not a daily painter any more. I told myself last night: Qiang, you must paint something right now. So I did. Was it good? I don’t know, but I learned something: Never ever use a clay board for oil painting. I am short in supplies now. Out of desperation, I found some panels I bought who know when. I did this 6”x6” with it. Oh! My goodness, this board was unbelievably absorptive. I literally poured a puddle of linseed oil on the surface, and it disappeared in seconds. Every brush I putted on turned into a dry mark, no matter how juicy my paint was. All my darks lost the darkness very quickly. I lost completely the smoothness of oil painting. Usually my paintings are dry to touch in several days. For this one, it is dry to touch in minutes. I used retouch varnish trying to bring the fresh look back, but it last only a couple of minutes. Oh boy. It was a real struggle….. My life is still in a mess right now, but I remind myself again: Just do it and Never give up.
I am going to Alabama tomorrow. I will let you know how the workshop goes later.

6 comments:

Lorraine Shirkus said...

For all the trouble you had, this painting is beautiful and glows! It's not evident you struggled at all--it looks effortless. Thanks for sharing your experience with the clay board--I've had the same frustrating experience!

Brian Cameron said...

Qiang, It looks good from where I sit! Seriously.. I like it a lot. May your life come together effortlessly and peacefully.

Kim VanDerHoek said...

The reflected light from the peach onto the box adds that touch only a seasoned painter would see.

I'm sorry you had to spend time fighting your materials. Luckily, you ended up with a lovely painting.reure

Tess Traylor Walls said...

From someone who shares the struggle with much less success than you, please--never give up. We get so much from your paintings.

tai said...

It's fantastic! I enjoy all your paintings. Thanks for enduring.

Mariusz Kornatka said...

Great! I like the colors and atmosphere in this painting

all the best,
Mariusz

www.mariuszkornatka.posterous.com