Monday, September 14, 2009

"Apple Demo" --- Sold

Click Here to Bid

In my previous post, I borrowed the term "chromodynamics" from quantum physics to identify the color theory I would like to practically use and share with everybody in my teaching. It will take a while for me to organize all my logic, but in a nutshell, what I tried to say is "the way color moves". These a couple of days I received many comments and emails asking what I really learned from Calvin Liang. I remember he told me: "I really like to paint the scene that more than 60% of it is in shadow". This statement zapped me. I suddenly realized that 90% of my paintings were the opposite. I like the scene that more than 60% of it in light, and put most of the colors in lighted area as well. Calvin directed me to a new way of think. I interpreted his saying meant: "Why don't you put most of the good colors in shadow and see what happens?" This suggestion opened tremendous amount of opportunities for me to be creative. Instead of having one piece of vibrant color doing a solo, I can have many grays and subtle colors to perform a whole symphony together. You know I was not too fond of high key paintings. Now I changed my mind. Well, my today's painting is still belong to my old category, I will talk more about it next time.

3 comments:

Don Gray said...

I think you're on to something there, Qiang. I'm betting you'll get great results from your new ideas. Your paintings are always beautiful.

Sandra Galda said...

I love this one apple. Looking forward to your developing color theory.

Diane Hoeptner said...

Thanks so much for explaining further, Qiang... Such great food for thought.