Monday, March 9, 2015

"Downtown Austin (Day 1)"

After teaching two workshops in a row, I am back to Austin. I have about two weeks before my next trip. So I decided to do more new stuff.

This painting is by far the largest I have ever done. It is a 40" x 40". This morning I went to Jerry's Artarama in the pouring rain. Austin has not raining hard like this for a long long time, but when I try to squeeze this large canvas into my small Honda, it just dumped ton of water on me. Dragged this giant into my garage, I found I don't even have a proper easel to hold it. I have an old "Mirage" easel that barely hold this canvas, but it keeps moving and turning. Under this clumsy condition, I have managed putting the dark paints on to create the underpainting, but suddenly the big &%#$ canvas came off the easel and fell right on my face. I pushed, it collapse on my palette, and knock it over. Before I can do anything, the sharp corner of the palette has poked a hole right at the center of the canvas.... Well, that is the first day of my largest painting.

8 comments:

Judy P. said...

What a funny and frustrating adventure you are having- best wishes on that monster canvas!

Karen Eade said...

Well that was very funny to read but not so funny to experience, I expect. It is difficult to paint large, not enough is said about all the changes you have to make to succeed. I have found you need not just a bigger easel, but a bigger palette, bigger brushes, bigger tubes of paint, perhaps a bigger house?!

Donna said...

This story made my morning. Sounds like one ornery canvas. Maybe lean it or hang it on the studio wall to paint it if there is room. Enjoy!

CAROL HOPPER -- A PAINTER'S JOURNAL said...

Qiang....I didn't laugh (well maybe a little)...been there, done that....I paint in my laundry room and the largest I can go is 36x36 using my wonderful big easel. A bigger size....and I am wedged in.

You can be very funny besides being an excellent painter!

carol morgan carmichael said...

Good looking painting despite the mishaps. Best of luck. You might want to wear a helmet for the rest of the painting.

Sunny Avocado Art said...

You poor thing! I know you will have it finished in no time at all and make it all look so easy...but now we will know the truth. ;)

Mike Kennedy said...

Well, sounds like quite the adventure! Sorry to hear of your woes! I've had similar experiences before and I thought I was getting the message to just quit - but realized it was just my frustration. Don't give up! These are the times of real growth - when we don't realize we're growing...

Theresa Grillo Laird said...

Do you also start the small ones with a monochrome underpainting? thanks!( Day 5 painting looks great!)