Sunday, September 18, 2011

"Taigu"

I have been doing many small paintings. Painting larger is not my cup of tea. Now, since I am painting more seriously,  I must do more larger paintings. This one is 16" x 20". It feels like a giant to me. I spent two days on it. It is totally different ball game. I had some hard time, make quite a few mistakes, and learned a lot.

I did this one from a photo. The place is a small town called "Taigu" in central China. Recently, China has been developed so fast. The economics is booming. You see new modern skyscrapers sprouting like bamboo shoots everywhere. However on the other hand, old buildings got demolished day by day. My previous visit of my home town was about two years ago. The area I used to play and go to school has been completely rebuild. "Completely" means I can't even find a single tree which I know before. When the bulldozer went across, thousands of years culture crumbled into dust. Very soon the scene showing on this paintings will be completely disappeared from this planet. I guess that is the motivation I want paint this one, and perhaps many more in the future. I plan to go back to China more in the future and do more plein air and maybe workshops in this kind of culture locations, before it goes away.


8 comments:

Donna said...

I like the painting and your reason for painting it as well.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I like everything about this painting and it makes me sad to see history bulldozed.
I am also beginning to work larger which is quite a challenge!
Wonderful brushwork and color.

Millie said...

Your small paintings are all lovely. But personally I prefer the bigger sized and this one is quite nice.
I recently came back from a trip to China too and I was amazed to see a huge difference from my visit there ten years earlier. Even farmers live in brick 2, 3 storeyed homes and scryscrapers everywhere I looked. I was in Shanghai and ZhouZhuang.

MaryAnn Cleary said...

The painting is wonderful. One of the things that saddened me the most when I lived for two years in China (2005-2007 in Suzhou) is how the history and culture of so many centuries was being demolished only to be replaced with high-rise buildings. Gone forever. I know that even since my time there that many more changes have occurred. Because of my job and my friends there, I got to see many places. During my travels, I felt like the old was being constantly stripped from the country and being lost forever.

Stephanie Berry said...

I really like this painting. I hope you do more of places like this so you can preserve the memories of older buildings.

Karen Werner said...

This is beautiful! You have skillfully shown the old and the new. I particularly love the green in the far old building. Doesn't look like the size was any problem for you at all. You are a master!

Logan said...

Hey are you selling this one or keeping it for yourself? Looks great - I always learn a lot when looking at your paintings I feel. I recently mentioned in my blog how I thought your depiction of cloth textures was great. Thanks for sharing, Qiang!

Rebecca said...

When you come to Asia for a visit, please consider stopping by Hong Kong and hold a workshop here. You'll definitely have an audience out here. I've been following your paintings and they are just fabulous! If you do come to HK to do a workshop, I'll be glad to help!