Wednesday, January 12, 2011

"Cantaloupe and Cherries" --- Sold

This is the second demo I did at HCAA workshop. Some artist friends asked me why I always paint background dark. I think the answer is one word: CONTRAST. I want to show the light playing. I enjoyed painting the dancing high lights on the brass, the translucent glow of the cantaloupe, and shadowy dark crimson of the cherries. As a matter of fact, my sense of color is not that great. Using as wide as possible value range helps me to increase the power of the painting.

3 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

This is beautiful. The brush strokes and lighting are exciting.

shivanand khanore said...

This is realy beautiful work. coloring and brushing strokes are so beatiful.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

It's a beautiful painting. I think you do well with color but thanks for sharing how important values are.