Monday, October 5, 2020

Plein Air "Off the Grid"


 

I painted plein air at my "off the grid" haven yesterday. I remembered I have talked about my DIY project of building off the grid before. I was inspired by Henry David Thoreau's "Walden" and did this project mainly in 2019. This year, I have added an attached bathroom to the main structure, and built decks in the front. Nine solar panels provide the power so I can turn on lights, run a refrigerator, and the most importantly, drive an AC to beat the super hot Texas summer. I use rainwater for shower and other cleaning, and propane gas for cooking and heating in the winter time. I enjoy very much when I stay there. Now, all of us are going through the Covid 19, and it becomes more significant to know how to live sustainably. 

The weather is perfect. When I was painting, all the details I went through during the construction came alive. It was a good moment. I realize that I can not be only a painter, I must know all the skills to survive. 

2 comments:

Kay M. Dewar said...

Qiang, I love this idea of "off the grid." Do you get enough rain in Texas to have enough water for showers, etc? It takes a lot of planning and thought to create this whole energy saving concept. I applaud you for this.

I have enjoyed your still life videos; maybe you will need to create a video on off the grid living too.

Jo Castillo said...

Your home off the grid looks delightful. I’m so happy that you have a happy place to rest up and paint. Applause.