Saturday, October 8, 2016

"Xidi in the rain 01"

I made two trips outside of Beijing. My first one was to Auhui province. Xidi is an old village I visited last year. I love it so much so I went back. The weather wasn't cooperated much so I took many photos instead of painted at site. I did many pen-n-ink sketches. This is one of them. The type of structure in my sketch is called "Pai-Fong", which is a monument to commemorate someone local who contributed to the country, community, or family in an extraordinary way. The construction of a Pai-Fong must be approved by the emperor. Someone who builded it without approval would be beheaded. I am glad this genuine Pai-Fong is preserved without destroyed by commercialization.

1 comment:

Jo Castillo said...

Beautiful, thanks for sharing your journey.