Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Music of Colors

 



Waterlily is the most interesting thing I have ever painted. It offers vast amount of flexibility to represent this subject matter and gives the artist the utmost freedom for creativity. Waterlilies have relaxed the accuracy requirement on size, perspective, proportion, local color, and shapes, so I can fully concentrate on the geometrical composition, texture variation, and color design without worrying my painting going too abstract to leave the representational paradigm. The reflections in the water provide mainly the vertical rhythmic structures while the lily pads generate most the horizonal resonance. These two-dimensional periodic patterns interweave together and created endless opportunities for artists to compose astonishing spatial music. I got hooked immediately after I did my first waterlily painting, and it explains why Claude Monet did not touch any other subject matters after he started painting waterlilies.


No comments: