Monday, March 25, 2013

"Demo at New Braunfels 2013 2" --- Sold

The second demo I did was with a black velvet as the background. I painted it completely black using transparent oxide red plus ultramarine blue. I did this because I saw quite a few students struggled when they deal with completely dark background in the previous day. As a matter of fact completely dark background has an advantage. It provides very high contrast to the foreground, which enhances the brightness of the center of focus. However, you really need a relatively large area in grey. Otherwise the center will look floating.

3 comments:

carol morgan carmichael said...

Beautiful! The dark background does show case the items. Love your brushwork as well. I also really like the "glazed pottery" painting from a couple posts ago. You can make the simplest objects a work of art.

Sandra said...

lovely!

David Webb said...

Beautiful light, Quiang.