Sunday, April 10, 2011

"Spring at Dallas"

I was at Dallas yesterday attending the annual Plein Air Southwest Show organized by the Outdoor Painters Society. This was my first time in the show. The event had two activities: quick draw at the Dallas Arboretum and plein air painting exhibition at the Southwest Gallery. This painting is my quick draw piece. Since plein air landscape is deviated so much from my still life painting, I felt out of control. Many effects that I wish I could make happen did not. I have run into many areas that I have been completely lost. It was a beautiful Saturday morning. There were so many people in the park. I was put at the spot. Since I didn't know what I was doing, I just let my intuition take over. I pretend to be cool. Oh boy! I was a true con artist that morning. Finally, I think the painting turned out better than I thought.


12 comments:

Stephanie Berry said...

This is wonderful. Hard to believe you had any struggles doing this. It looks like it took no effort at all. Perfect!

Jan said...

I should be so lucky to do "quick draws" like that. Really nice piece.

Ann Rogers said...

Con artist...ha, ha! It looks like you know exactly what you are doing although I agree with you about plein air, the elements are all so "out of one's control". So different from an inside still life. This turned out beautifully. It was great seeing you in Dallas, congratulations on your winning award, always well deserved. Thank you for the facebook birthday wish!

Kathryn Fisher said...

I appreciate your honesty about your feelings. You may have felt out of control in the process, but your result is lovely. Thank you for disclosing how you felt. This is how many of us feel while painting. Your paintings are beautiful and inspiring.

MeeLi Lee said...

I love how loosely this was painted. I think when an artist is not in control, (s)he is really "in the zone". Something else takes control!

Randy Saffle said...

Qiang, I had fun meeting you at the PAS show and talking "shop" at the dinner. Congrats on your award. I'm proud to share the wall with someone I've followed for some time now.

Plein air is a challenge and I'm sure most painters share your feelings. It's tough enough to paint outside, but it doesn't help knowing it's going straight from the easel to hang in a show. Great job, sir!

Susan Roux said...

I love the feeling you captured here.

Mary Pyche said...

I love it, it has a very exciting lively look to it, you can see the excitement and energy you had while painting it. You can also see those little 'secrets' that you have peeking through.

Michael King said...

Nice cool light!

Brad Miedema said...

Absolutely Beautiful!

Ellen Paxton - Artist said...

These are just exquisite Qiang. You have such a light touch.....I have to confess I am envious.

Unknown said...

Hey Qiang, Great to see you again my friend. Wonderful work as always. congrats on the award. Best of luck on the up coming show at Riverbend. Tell Marta hello for me. See ya down the road!