Thursday, March 3, 2011

"Demo at Magnolia 3" --- Sold

This is my 3rd demo on the workshop. It is a rose painting. Up to the date, I have been doing rose demos for almost all my workshops. I like to paint roses in the bud stage. I don’t quite like to paint roses in full blooming. I like simple things. If you ask me if I have a secret of painting roses, I will say that rose does has an anatomy. You want to consider a rose is like a cylinder. You want to know well how the light shining on this cylinder, where the shadow goes and where the light goes. Make sure your value is correct. Painting roses has no room for overwork. So be careful with every stroke you put on. In addition, the stem and little green things under the rose are very important items. They provide shape and color contrast. So you want include them as much as you can. Now you know how I paint roses. I hope this small tip will bring many beautifully painted roses to the world. Happy painting to all of you.

3 comments:

Caroline Peña Bray said...

I've always loved how you capture petals with all their delicacy, and just with what seems to be an effortless sweep of the brush. Excellent stuff as always, Qiang!

Barbara Pask said...

You do such a lovely job with roses. I paint all kinds of flowers but have stayed away from roses for some reason. You make me want to try them.

Taryn Day said...

Such a beautiful painting!